- This event has passed.
Egg Drop Challenge
May 23 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm$5
Each participant will use the same list of supplies in order to construct a contraption that will protect an egg from up to a 3 story fall.
- The device must not exceed 8″ cubic area (8″ x 8″ x 8″)
- The contraption should not be loaded with an egg before the competition
The following materials are NOT ALLOWED
- Any type of parachute contraption (designs must be able to free fall)
- Packing peanuts
- Metals (except for conjunction items such as screws, staples, paperclips, etc.)
- Chemical Containers
- Styrofoam (with the exception of whole Styrofoam cups)
- Thick wood (such as 2×4)
- Any food products (with exception of the egg provided on the day of the competition)
A panel of Catalyst Space members will judge the device according to the conditions mentioned below.
- The egg remains intact. If any of the egg’s contents spills, the design is disqualified.
- The egg which survives the highest fall is considered the winner. If there is more than one device which qualifies to be the winner, the judges will determine a winner based on the following.
- The size and weight of the design: Most points are awarded for the minimum size and weight.
- Ease of operation: Most points are awarded to the device which is the easiest to load.
- Creativity and Engineering Practice: Most points are awarded to the device which demonstrates the most creative design solution, the greatest knowledge of physical sciences, and the greatest craftsmanship.
- Durability of the Device: Most points are awarded to the device with the least damage by the end of the competition.
- Discretion of the judges
This competition is open to any member of the public.
NO AGE LIMIT! That’s right anyone who can create a contraption is able to participate.